I made this little potion yesterday and it really really worked for me. I have a mixture of light brown hair and a few natural lighter highlights. I like to tell everyone my hair is golden, just like my mum tells everyone hers is silver. We definitely know how to impress.
But, sometimes it just lacks a little shine, it gets a little dull. And who can blame it? The sun hardly comes out in winter, and when it does my hair is all stuffed under a hat. But this mask works. It really lightened, brightened and put a glorious shine in my hair.
So here are the ingredients:
- Golden syrup. (yes you heard me and I’m not joking)
- 1/2 a lemon.
- Coconut oil.
- Baking soda.
- Chamomile tea, or just boiling water.
- Honeygar, or apple cider vinegar if you haven’t got that.
Here’s how I made it:
- Get 2-3 teaspoons of baking soda in a dish. 2 if your hair is dry, 3 if not.
- Add the lemon juice, it will fizz. Let it fizz. Add as much as you want but not over half a lemon. This is what will lighten your hair, but it will also weaken it. But don’t worry, this is why we have coconut oil.
- Get a good dollop of coconut oil in the little dish. I used two heaped teaspoons, if your hair is dry, use a little more.
- Time for chamomile tea. Simply use a chamomile tea bag and add a little hot water, make sure it’s infused as much as possible and then pour a little trickle into the potion. If you don’t have chamomile tea, just use a little boiling water. We want to totally melt the coconut oil and make sure it’s warm so the golden syrup will dissolve in easily, but careful, we don’t want it too runny!
- Add two teaspoons golden syrup and mix it in. It should get softer and smoother and you should end up with a very golden substance that perhaps has little lumps of baking soda in. If it isn’t mixing so well place your dish in a larger dish and pour boiling water around it.
- Add two teaspoons honeygar or apple cider vinigar. This really creates a good shine, just like the baking soda and golden syrup. They all work together so so well. Mix it up and your potion is done!
Wet your hair with cold water, and towel dry, then add the potion. Pour on, scoop on, dip your ends in. Massage it throughout your hair then tie your hair up in a bun, and chill. It should harden a little on your hair from the cold water but I wore a towel around my shoulders to catch any leakage anyway.
I left it on my hair for two hours. If you want your hair to really lighten a lot, let your hair down and sit out in the sun. The longer you leave it on, the lighter your hair should get, however I wouldn’t leave it on for more than three hours.
When you feel like it’s done, simply wash your hair as usual. You might have to shampoo twice, but it is not as difficult to get out as you might think with it being golden syrup.
After I’d washed it out, my hair felt extremely clean, that’d be the baking soda doing it’s work. I put my wet hair in braids and went to bed. It’s so so shiny today, my little waves are glowing in today’s sunshine. You’ve got to try this!
If you do, comment below on how it goes! 🌞